Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Bloody Monday


Today I observed students shooting each other, splattering blood against the walls and floors of virtual environments. I also saw a student rip the heart out of another girl--while playing Mortal Kombat. I have mixed feelings about all this. My initial reaction to the violence is to cringe and cry out "My goodness. That's disgusting!!! Yuck!" But then I find myself laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing.


This group of girls has been exceptionally friendly and respectful of each other, so I don't think the violence in the gaming worlds will affect their relationships. However, I do worry that other people (one's with personality disorders) might become more violent after being agitated while playing the games.
This is the aspect of gaming and virtual reality that interests me the most: the extent to which it creates changes within our real life world. I would love to see a game that made people more calm and well balanced after playing it.


1 comment:

Julie said...

love the title of your entry! I wonder about that same issue. How it might be tough for people that have a difficult time keeping fantasy and reality seperated.