Monday, July 28, 2008

Gamers; Technology vs. Excercise

To me, stereotypical gamers include pale, nerdy, usually obese boys who spend all of their time in their rooms playing video games all day. Today we discussed how we classify gamers, and also the different types of social issues video games promote. I am not much of a video game player myself, considering I only play about one hour a month, but I firmly believe that extensive gaming leads to many physical and social issues. Obesity is a problem already in America today, and video games provide an accessible and easy alternative to excercise. When I was younger, I always played outside. Many kids today don't realize the capability they have to excercise more than we can as adults, because they have much more energy. Healthy adults with an active excercise schedule usually start this pattern at a very young age. It frustrates me that kids are relying more on technology and proning themselves to obesity later on in life. I love technology -- don't get me wrong -- but there some things, such as excercise, that technology should never replace. I also don't really know very many girl gamers; most gamers I know are teenage boys or young-adult men, even though I know that is very stereotypical. I'm not the most social butterfly of the bunch, but I'm far from being a hermit either, which is what I consider gamers to be. I know there are a lot of people that don't fit these stereotypes, but, from personal observation, technology should never replace the good old-fashioned excercise just because video games are easier and not as much physical work.

No comments: